What’s the difference between Production Insurance and Professional Indemnity Insurance?

If you ever have to make a claim the most gut wrenching response you can get from your insurer is that you don’t have the correct cover. When you pay lots of money for insurance it’s infuriating if it doesn’t help you when you need it most. That’s why it’s so important to make sure you have the right cover for you.

Two Insurance policies that appear to be quite similar are Production Insurance and Professional Indemnity Insurance. They couldn’t be more different! So what’s the difference between them?

Professional Indemnity Insurance

Professional indemnity Insurance is traditionally for claims resulting from you, your employees or freelancers negligence. Typically, there needs to be evidence you have been negligent. Crucially for production companies, it also covers matters such as breach of intellectual property, copyright infringment, breach of confidentiality. This tends to be matters within your control.

Production Insurance

Production Insurance/re-shoot is for matters outside your control. For example, sometimes a memory card corrupts, a camera unexpectedly fails whilst on a shoot or a hard drive is damaged or stolen. These are matters outside of your control.

If you’re still uncertain and would like some advice, please get in touch with us and we’d be more than happy to discuss your options.

Post navigation

Previous Previous post:Commercial Producers Policy may have saved the dayNext Next post:Public Liability for Photographers – what to check?